With thicker, luscious eyebrows now firmly cemented as one of the top beauty standards, many people have begun searching for more permanent ways to achieve their dream brows. One of the most popular techniques is microblading, a specialised hand-controlled method that infuses pigment into the top layers of the skin to mimic eyebrow hair. Microblading is an excellent method for those who have struggled with hair loss and still want to have beautiful, natural-looking brows.
As wonderful as microblading eyebrows are, not everyone can benefit from the treatment, as it has a unique set of criteria that will determine your suitability for it. Here’s what you need to know about being a good candidate for microblading:
The Criteria for Microblading Eyebrows
Due to the nature of microblading, some situations and conditions can prevent you from being qualified to receive it safely. Your age, skin type, sensitivity, and quality all play a significant role in determining the safety and effectiveness of microblading. That means microblading will have different results, depending on the person’s condition and a few other factors. Here are some conditions that are contraindicated for microblading:
- Dermatitis, or itchy and flaky skin in the eyebrow area
- Rosacea (skin too sensitive and will not hold colour)
- Eczema in the eyebrow area
- Keratosis Pilaris in the eyebrow area
- Psoriasis in the eyebrow area
- Chronic acne or excessively oily skin since hair strokes will blur into each other
- Large pores in the eyebrow area, as the hair strokes to blur together
- Botox, as you must wait three weeks after your last Botox session if in the eyebrow area
- Raised skin, moles, bumps, and piercings in the eyebrow area
- Trichotillomania in the eyebrow area
- Sunburn or suntan in the eyebrow area, as you must wait for your skin to return to your standard colour before the procedure
- Going on a vacation, as your microbladed eyebrows must have enough time to heal before you expose them to the sun
- Blood thinners since microblading will lead to excessive bleeding
- Pregnant and breast-feeding
- Sensitive skin since it will not retain the pigment
- Deep wrinkles, as the result will look uneven
- Having natural red hair since your skin is too sensitive and will not hold colour
- Having thin skin since it will be fragile and hypersensitive
- Previous permanent eyebrows, as microblading will not embed itself properly
- Heart conditions, but consult your doctor beforehand
- Haemophilia due to excessive bleeding if microbladed
- Autoimmune diseases like lupus since your skin health is compromised
The Maintenance Involved in Microblading
Microblading eyebrows are different from traditional cosmetic tattooing since it is less invasive and considered to be semi-permanent. It is meant to last one to three years, although this depends on your age, skin type and health, how well you stick to your aftercare regimen, your skincare routine, and environmental factors. For these reasons, it’s crucial to pay extra attention to maintaining your microbladed work by scheduling a maintenance procedure.
When you come in for your scheduled maintenance procedure, you’ll need to refer to the list above to ensure you remain a good candidate for the treatment. Your microbladed eyebrows will eventually fade before your treatment, but you may need to have it done completely if you go two years without a maintenance procedure.
To keep your microbladed eyebrows looking great, be sure to apply sunscreen over them, protecting them from sun exposure and damage. Some acids in skincare products can also lead to premature fading.
Microblading is a reliable, permanent way to get the eyebrows you’ve always dreamt of having. However, due to what’s involved in the procedure, not everyone is a candidate for it. By using our guide, you’ll know if microblading is the perfect option for you.
Peace in a Pod is known for its floatation therapy in Perth, but we also offer a wide range of services, like microblading eyebrows and eyelash extensions. We aim to provide various wellness options through our luxury spa treatments and services to help you enjoy life more and destress. Contact us today to book an appointment!